.

.

.

.

Thursday 1 December 2016

Ombre Inlay (It's Simpler Than It Looks!)


Hello again! 

I have something of an experiment to share with you today. Yesterday I was at a bit of a loose end so I figured I would have a go at an idea I've had for a while... an ombre inlay in a pattern die.
Maybe that sounds over complicated? It's super easy (if a little fiddly), and in the end I came up with this.... 

For this card I used a First Edition repeat pattern die by Trimcraft. I cut it from kraft card. I also cut it from four coloured papers from my scraps box, and (IMPORTANT!!) saved all the little 'bits' from inside the die. I backed the kraft die cut with sticky tape, and then used the little bits to fill in the gaps. I arranged them into an ombre pattern (dark red>red>gold>yellow), with a little of each colour in the next colour (I'm bad at explaining things...) so the transition to one colour to the next was smoother. 

The dragonfly is from a mini die by Dovecraft. I did the same technique as with the pattern - die cut from kraft card and then from coloured scraps, saving the 'bits'. 

The background is some watercolour paper with a DecoArt mister sprayed over it. This was just to test the mister out (Katie kindly sent me a parcel of mixed media goodies last week <3) but it went well with the inlayed die cuts that I used it as a background. I used yellow washi tape around the edge and backed onto orange paper. 

Finally (I'm obsessed with this lately), I cut a length of gold thread and stuck it around the dragonfly, using little gems to cover up the areas where the double sided tape was visible.

Right, off to watch some December Daily videos as I'm thinking about doing it this year. I have a little 6x6" album coming, it was like £1 in the docrafts sale so I thought... why not?!

Thanks for stopping by! 
Emily xx




No comments:

Post a Comment