.

.

.

.

Monday 1 August 2016

Things To Alter Guest Design Team - Steampunk Pirate Layout!

Hi all,

A new make to share today using some of the MDF shapes by Things To Alter.
I was asked to be on the guest team at the last minute and luckily I had some steampunk bits left over so I was able to make this layout and I am so pleased with it!

Here's what I made.


I created the background by using matte medium with a stencil with gears on it. Once it was dry I went over areas of the layout with watercolour - crimson mixed with a little burnt umber. I also used white acrylic paint and a honeycomb stencil. Around the edge of the paper I used a border punch and then tore around it. Finally I went around the edge using the zigzag setting on my sewing machine. 
The crosshatched MDF pieces are just one larger piece cut up and coloured with metallic Sharpies. I coloured the bird like this too.

The accordion flowers are so simple to make, I just took strips of patterned paper and scored at centimetre intervals and then folded them into a concertina and stuck together with hot glue. There is some sturdy card on the back of them to stop them popping up and then an embellishment glued in the centre. With this one I used an MDF steampunk heart I painted gold. 


This layout features a picture of my dear friend Sam dressed as a steampunk pirate at Comic Con last year. Don't they look so incredibly cool! To keep with the pirate theme I searched for a sea-type quote, printed it out, cut up and stuck down with matte medium (no messing about with fiddly tape or glue) and then drew around with a fine liner.

Thanks for stopping by!
Emily xx





3 comments: